1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Apple announces 2011 iCar

By April 1, 2009

2011 Apple iCar ProApple Computer announced their intention to enter the automobile business with an all-new vehicle called the iCar.

"Just as Apple's iPod revolutionized the stagnant personal-music industry, we expect the iCar to revolutionize the failing automobile industry," said an Apple spokesperson. "Our goal is to completely re-invent the concept of what an automobile can and should be."

The new iCar will build on the success of the iPhone and iPod with a simplified user interface featuring touch-screen steering and a single pedal to replace the traditional accelerator and brake. The iCar will feature the world's first maintenance-free engine, and Apple claims that the iCar will be less prone to crashes than traditional automobiles.

Apple iCar AirApple's new iCar will be available in three models: The two-passenger iCar Nano, priced at $39,995; the four-passenger iCar Pro, priced at $44,995; and the convertible iCar Air priced at $49,995. A low-cost version, the iCar Shuffle, which features a single seat and no windows, will follow a year later.

The iCar will be available exclusively though the Apple Store network, and will go on sale April 1st, 2010. -- Aaron Gold

Related: Motorcycle chrome to be banned by January 1, 2010 on About.com Motorcycles

Comments
April 1, 2009 at 1:57 am
(1) Les says:

Nice try

April 1, 2009 at 1:59 am
(2) sean says:

Well, it certainly can be said that their automotive pricing is consistent with their other products when compared to competitor’s similar offerings…

April 1, 2009 at 2:01 am
(3) sean says:

And yes, I agree, nice try.

April 1, 2009 at 3:13 am
(4) DFI says:

Awesome, this made me laugh a lot. All jokes aside, though, I wonder what the Apple corporate culture could do if applied to say, GM? I bet if Steve Jobs took over GM for a few years we would see a much better car company down the road. First be the best, then being first will follow naturally.

Thanks for the laugh, Aaron.

April 1, 2009 at 6:54 am
(5) Ed says:

Happy April fools to you, too, Aaron.

April 1, 2009 at 8:19 am
(6) Rob says:

Not gonna get me this year. I’ll never forget how good you got me with the Diesel Corvette.

April 1, 2009 at 8:21 am
(7) George says:

Let me guess, if it breaks, you have to send it back to Apple and they’ll send you a new one?

April 1, 2009 at 8:29 am
(8) Tom says:

You had me until you started listing the names… Then I realize “DOH!”

All I kept thinking was “Well, if Tesla had Apple’s money, they’d be a success by now…”

April 1, 2009 at 9:11 am
(9) Agent Mike says:

Aaron, Nice one !!!!!! You had me going until you got to the shuffle :)

April 1, 2009 at 10:25 am
(10) Carol says:

Very funny Aaron! For a moment you had me going….

April 1, 2009 at 11:55 am
(11) Dave Hump says:

Aprils Fool Day

April 1, 2009 at 12:10 pm
(12) Phil says:

Apple cars, never. But this I could go for:

Apple announces plans to enter the motorcycle business, teaming with the creators of the Segway to produce a revolutionary all electric two wheeler with gyroscopic leveling that promises to not need a kickstand. It’s name… the iCycle.

April 1, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(13) Jay says:

You had me going for until the names. BUT .. Oh won’t it be a great experience!! But I would hate to reboot a car or some how get a virus!!

April 1, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(14) bryan says:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

April 1, 2009 at 2:43 pm
(15) BILLIE JOE says:

TERRIFIC You got me! I especially liked the windowless version! How are you going to top this one in 2010??????

April 1, 2009 at 3:10 pm
(16) Raya says:

LOL I loved this especially “the iCar Shuffle”
That was classic. Thanks for the laugh.

April 1, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(17) Daniel says:

You forgot to mention that the iCar only runs on iFuel that can be purchased only from an iStation.

April 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(18) Person says:

Lame!!!!!

April 1, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(19) HAWAIIAN DON says:

Good one Aaron! You sure got their business/pricing model just right…first come out with the high priced item up front, so they can sucker in the impatient “gotta have the latest gizmo” techies and then introduce the real world priced unit!

April 1, 2009 at 7:02 pm
(20) Thomas says:

omg i fell for it!

April 1, 2009 at 9:32 pm
(21) Jeff R. says:

I caught it from the headline (date included). I like the pics though. How much Photoshop (if any) went into pics of real cars (European, I’m guessing) for those? This is definitely a good one, as evidenced by the number of people admitting falling for it. I wonder how many won’t admit it…

April 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm
(22) SandyJ says:

Nice one! Am especially looking forward to the Shuffle! Very, very funny! These type of April Fool’s things I’m all over!

April 1, 2009 at 11:08 pm
(23) Mick says:

Funny. I might’ve given this a second thought, if I wasn’t such an auto nerd that I know what the Smart forfour and Smart Roadster (one of my favorites) are. Good try though, don’t be surprised to see a ‘real’ iCar in the future…we saw it here first!

April 1, 2009 at 11:17 pm
(24) Ken says:

lol..I bet you can’t change it’s battery either.
Yes bring on more overpriced cars..just what we need.
Come on Microsoft you could do this for 1/3 the price.

April 2, 2009 at 1:42 am
(25) DFI says:

I guess Microsoft could follow two years later with a slightly cheaper version that only comes in brown and every 50 miles you have to turn the car off, get out, walk around the car counter clockwise three consecutive times, then get back in and hope it starts again.

April 16, 2009 at 11:33 pm
(26) Steve says:

Not so fast, maybe something is cooking with apple: http://digg.com/apple/Apple_To_Save_GM_and_Introduce_The_iCar

July 30, 2009 at 9:25 am
(27) Russ says:

Will the first generation have a replaceable battery?

August 19, 2009 at 2:28 pm
(28) Is says:

Had me until the third paragraph with the touch-screen steering and the single pedal.

December 7, 2009 at 7:57 pm
(29) wens says:

“the icar Shuffle” hahahahaha

June 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(30) Jack Miller says:

At first I thought it was real until I read the comments.

March 15, 2011 at 8:44 am
(31) Jreal says:

hahahahahahaaha… you got me isuck for that ijoke now let me get ioff.

October 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(32) NowayJose says:

This is a joke, right? Somebody fooling around, and Posted this crap here?

There would never be an iCar, unless Apple gets really desperate which I’m unsure that may happen, unless they begin to decline as a result of Steve’s passing and lose focus in what Steve would’ve wanted, maybe just maybe, but this seems all too likely, remember how back then they thought all Apple Computers would make is computers? well they then made the iPods. And iTunes. And the iPad did anybody say they were going to make an iPhone? No. But they did. They just might take the same paths, but not with automobiles, something else first, then it truly might start their REAL innovation, just wait.

December 14, 2011 at 8:09 pm
(33) Dylan says:

I think Apple might make products for automobile integration alot more involved. A LOT MORE. Especially with the Feds cracking down on hands free cell phones while driving. It’s not hard to imagine, picture seamless integration with your device and your car. Built in displays and processors from Apple making your vehicle a full fledged smart car! And with the new transportation system on the way enabling vehicles to drive themselves around eachother. We very well might see Apple partnering with automobile makers. Google has already got the ball moving in that arena. There will probably be Google ready cars and Apple ready cars will be available on the lots.