1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

History Channel announces Top Gear USA hosts

By April 21, 2010

Top Gear logoI'm sure many of you are familiar with Top Gear, but in case you aren't, it's a fantastic British car show that's found a huge following with fans all around the world. (If you haven't seen it, you can watch it on BBC America, and there are tons of clips on YouTube.)

Many people know about the 2008 Top Gear pilot that was filmed for NBC but wasn't picked up. Now, the American version of Top Gear is actually going to happen -- History Channel has comissioned ten episodes, the first of which will run late this fall. The hosts will be Adam Ferrara, actor and comedian; Tanner Faust, racing and stunt driver; and Rutledge Wood, Speed Channel NASCAR commentator.

And here's the coolest part, at least for me: I'm working behind the cameras as a "consulting producer" -- sort of a car-geek-for-hire. (That's why the blog has been a bit sparse lately. Don't worry, I'm not leaving!)

For more details, check out this article on the TopGear.com website. -- Aaron Gold

Photo © BBC

Comments
April 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm
(1) James Kocsis says:

Thank god they didn’t put you in front of the camera. Woulda cost them a fortune in cracked lenses!

April 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm
(2) DB says:

I don’t think they will be able to pull it off with the way sponsors rear ends need to be kissed in the US and with the tendency in the US to dumb programming down to the lowest common denominator.

At least it’s the History channel instead of a major network, so it probably won’t be dumbed down as much as it would have been on a major network.

My first wish is that they don’t stop showing the Brit version in the US when the US version is released.

My second wish is that the show be much better than I expect it to be,

April 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm
(3) Ross says:

This is awesome of course, I just hope the show manages to capture some of the magic of the original.

While the aforementioned personalities are sure to be talented, they will have a tough time measuring up to Clarkson, Hammond and May.

April 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm
(4) Bob G says:

The US version has to be better then the English version…. I’m a certified car nut BUT rarely can I stand the British version for more then a few minutes…before I change the channel …

Its CRAP….

Bob G

April 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm
(5) lwatcdr says:

I fear that it really will not be worth while.
Top gear is basically three guys that are car nuts but not really experts.
That is the joy of it they are boys with toys.
Adam Ferrara Great he is a car nut and a boy with toys. The other guys are automotive professionals. Jay Leno would have been great on this show or maybe Tim Allen. These guys I just don’t know. Maybe they will be funny enough to make it worth while.
Of course the man that should have been on this show is no longer with us. The great Steve McQueen :)

April 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(6) Jason Fogelson says:

I’m a big fan of the UK Top Gear, and I can’t wait for the US version — especially with Aaron Gold riding herd as the car geek behind the scenes.

April 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm
(7) Jeff R says:

Congrats Aaron! Should be fun to be a part of it. Like others here, not sure about the hosts, but I will definately be looking for it this fall.

April 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(8) BuckyThreadkiller says:

Rutledge Wood? I guess Bozo the Clown wasn’t available?

Leno, Tim Allen, Jerry Seinfeld? Mean Jean Lindamood Jennings would even have been a good choice. But Rutledge Wood?

Who are they going to get as the American Stig? Kenny Wallace?

April 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(9) J Kyle says:

Congratulations! Glad to see that things have worked out for you.

I look forward to seeing the show! The only one of the three I’ve ever heard of it Faust… a rally background is nice to see.

April 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm
(10) The Stig says:

Sorry, lads, but I won’t be able to make the trip across the pond to do your American Top Gear. I fear your version won’t quite match the original… besides, who you gonna get to play my role in the States? Some NASCAR washout? Remember, here in Europe we need to turn RIGHT in addition to left.
Cherio!

April 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm
(11) Jay from Ohio says:

Congrats Aaron!! I am looking forward for the show to air. Happy for you and yes .. hope the quirkiness stays w/ US version!! It’s not like the program hasn’t been around for decades in the UK.. I will not rain on ur parade but cheer!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm
(12) Steve in GA says:

Congratulations! Aaron Gold, hereafter known as Aaron “Hollywood” Gold.

(Now, where did I leave those sunglasses…)

April 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm
(13) Chris in GA says:

Dont forget us little guys! Congrats Aaron, you deserve whatever good comes your way!

April 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm
(14) lwatcdr says:

For a US Stig how about Mario Andriette or his son or grandson?

April 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm
(15) Hotwilz says:

Have you read the comments on top Gear’s website? Another UK wannabe show that will end up cancelled. Uh, how about something different and original ? Come on, Rutledge? Seriously…I can see it now …Dale Earnhart Jr. as the stig. What a joke! Mabe GM will throw some government money at them so we will keep hearing how GREAT their cars are. Good Luck

April 21, 2010 at 8:53 pm
(16) ChrisF says:

Congrats on the gig Aaron! However, I’m curious what the show’s producers will think when their hot-shot car guy rolls up in….an old Honda Accord wagon. :)

April 21, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(17) Les says:

I love the UK version and hope that the US version will be as good, but I hope they just don’t try and copy the UK version. Most of the fans people who will watch it already watch the UK version, so we will all know if it is purely a rip off or an original.

Congrats to you Aaron, we deserved, but I am also glad that you won’t be leaving us. You promise, right?

April 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(18) Les says:

oops, supposed to read “… well deserved …”
not
“… we deserve …”, although now that I think about, we do deserve for you to stay, so either way, don’t leave us!!!

April 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm
(19) iameriica says:

Congratulation on being a consulting producer!

Your knowledge will really add to the show.

I can’t wait to see it!

April 22, 2010 at 10:12 am
(20) Matt B. says:

Aaron Gold = The Stig

Hopefully they don’t do what they did with Iron Chef America and pretend one of the hosts is really Clarkson’s long lost nephew.

April 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm
(21) AgentMike says:

I was really looking forward to this show. But now that I know who they have selected as drivers….not so excited. Just don’t think they can re-create the chemistry that the three Brit Lads share, which is really what makes this show so good, not to mention No Ass kissing sponsorship involved when shown on our sets Monday nights.
The US version won’t be able to escape that. What happens when the beat the hell out of a specific US brand, (God knows it will happen) The funding will be cut, and there goes the show. Even the History channel runs commercials.

April 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm
(22) Hawaiian Don says:

I love the show and I hope our version is every bit as good as the original. Kudos to you Aaron. I can’t think of a better credit on your resume than this. Hoooray for you!!!!!!

April 23, 2010 at 9:32 am
(23) Cap'n Jon says:

Congrats Aaron!! I’m looking forward to seeing the show. Any show about anything to do with cars is on my “must see” list, and this will be one of them. Best wishes for a successful, long run!

April 23, 2010 at 10:53 am
(24) Mikeyp says:

Pathetic! Does no one in the US ever have an idea of their own? They ruined “The Office” and now they’re going to destroy “Top Gear”. A bunch of remoras… and Adam Ferrara? Since he and Jimmie Kimmel broke up, Adam needed a job, but I do believe he can still pronounce “Do you want fries with that?”. I know AAron will do a good behind-the-scenes job, but it’s already being done… and done very well. How about an ORIGINAL idea, just this once?

April 23, 2010 at 10:58 am
(25) Matt B. says:

Mikeyp – that was Adam Carolla. And the American version of “The Office” is a pretty good show that does nothing to tarnish the original BBC program.

April 23, 2010 at 11:50 am
(26) Gary in Atlanta says:

I hope you have taken good notes on what works and what doesn’t and they better be ready to fire tanner quickly. All his attempts on SpeedChannel are pretty weak. The britts have a perfect balance of humor and cars. I am not sure it can be done. Look at fifthgear, it just does not have the same entertainment value. Topgear is miles above anything in this category. I can already see the US version. Theme by Kenny Chesney. First guest Darrel Waltrip. First car review… Dodge Charger.

April 24, 2010 at 9:23 pm
(27) HyundaiSmoke says:

That was Pretty Rude to say that about Aaron James. What an Ass!!

Aaron, good luck man!!

Hey I do have a suggestion, can you please consult top gear America on some Diversity? This is America-a country with 59% Non-Hispanic Whites and 41% Minorties if you include Hispanic Whites you know, a show like that with 3 White Male hosts is not how you conduct business in the 21st century.

At least have a Black Stig, becuase the way I see it Top gear has pretty much said F-You to 41% of the country!!!

August 8, 2010 at 1:46 am
(28) homer j s says:

american stig
danica patrick
funnist sh#t ever

October 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm
(29) gearhead girl says:

I’ve seen the commercials for the new Top Gear but seriously how can you even think you can compete with Jeremy, James, and (Richard) Hammond?? How can you guys even come up with original ideas when your talking about guys who have played Ice hockey with cars or making your own modified amphibious ride and crossing the English Channel. Seriously think you can have a “Star in a reasonably-priced car”?

You have a 3 sets of big shoes to fill (Though Hammond is a smaller guy he might have small feet?) and that’s not including “The Stig”

Good luck… we’ll see if they give you guys more then the like 8 episodes. Then again many American’s have no clue about the original so maybe they will think you guys are just the greatest.

October 28, 2010 at 1:06 am
(30) La La says:

This is the worst idea ever, why are American television executives so arrogant that they think they can do it better, especially since I can’t think of a British remake that has actually been better. The Office is probably the closest, but is still not as good as the original. Top Gear has an international following of more then 350 million viewers and airs in over 100 countries, why would I waste my time with this History Channel knock off. I like History Channel, but I don’t see how they could pull it off. Clarkston, Hammond and May are Top Gear and they have way too wide of an American following established. This show has to be more then better and I don’t think they can do it.

November 1, 2010 at 11:07 pm
(31) Matt Patterson says:

omg, another flippin reality show on the history channel. i swear, that is all the history channel shows now days. just more proof that they are dumbing down programming. even on THC.

November 5, 2010 at 2:16 pm
(32) bboy says:

If they start doing NASCAR I’ll turn it off and NEVER go back!!!

That’s all we get in the US now… hillbillies driving in circles for two hours.

November 12, 2010 at 1:24 pm
(33) Chris says:

Mikeyp

“”Since he and Jimmie Kimmel broke up, Adam needed a job, but I do believe he can still pronounce “Do you want fries with that?””.

If you are ripping on Adam Carolla you need a clue. He took over Howard Sterns radio show and was #1 in many top markets before the station switch to top 40. Then he started a podcast and became the #1 rated podcast in the world. Thing with a podcast is, people need to make an effort to get the podcast so that is impressive to have fans work to hear you. wait not done..Then he wrote a book that has been released a week and around #20 on the best sellers list…WHAT HAVE YOU DONE MY FRIEND?

November 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm
(34) Ike says:

Adam Carolla and Eric Stromer (who did the NBC pilot) were a much better host choice…too bad

December 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm
(35) stig2 says:

What exactly did they hire you for? This show SUCKS. The comedian isn’t funny, Faust has the personality of a wet sponge. Don’t know the other guy. Show me a 200mph Aston that can only do 160 because you’re on a dry lake bed? Someone should be fired. Hire me, I know how to make this show work…and I don’t write a blog about driving….