1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

What's on your automotive bucket list?

By May 8, 2012

Model T SpeedsterThe other day, I was watching a British show called Wheeler Dealers, and one of the hosts (sorry, presenters) referred to the Audi Quattro as "a car you have to drive before you die." And as I watched, I found myself putting together my own list.

Now, plenty of automotive hacks have done automotive bucket lists, and they contain the predictable stuff: Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Paganis, Bugattis, etc. My list is a bit more... diverse. Among the vehicles I would like to drive before I die:

• 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 1948 Tucker
  • Model T -- preferably a Speedster, but any one will do
  • Citroen 2CV and DS
  • GM PD-4501 (the Greyhound Scenicruiser)
  • Ferrari 246 GT Dino
  • Mack B-series truck
  • Crown Firecoach pumper, preferably with a Hall-Scott gas engine

We've talked before about the oddball cars you'd like to own -- but what are the cars you'd like to drive, even just once, before you shuffle off this mortal coil and take the onramp to that great big freeway in the sky? Click the "comments" link and share away. -- Aaron Gold

Photo Ford

Comments
May 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(1) Eric says:

There are a few cars I’d like to drive before I die, and probably not surprisingly, NONE of them are current production vehicles (I can’t imagine much built today being on anyone’s Bucket List, save for some of the exotics). I once owned a 70 Charger R/T with a 440 six-pack/4-speed combo. It was a dream car to drive. The only car in that genre that I’d still like to drive is any second-gen Hemi car (66-71).

I agree with you Aaron on the Citroen 2CV. I saw several on the roads of Germany, and they looked pretty cool. I’d also like to drive pretty much any car made in the 20-30′s. Love the fenders and big wheels.

May 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(2) Carol says:

I want a ’66 Mustang convertible to drive down Rt. 66. I also want a ’66 Corvette to drive down the California coast.

May 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm
(3) Ron says:

A WWII area jeep (yes, with lower case “j”. Look it up. Other than that a 1969 Mach I Mustang, early 70′s Corvette, or any Fararri.

May 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm
(4) Marty says:

I would like to drive a 70 Torino Cobra 429 w/a 4 speed. Also a Studebaker Champ pick-up or a Studebaker Avanti with the supercharged 289 engine. As far as European cars go, a BMW 2002.

May 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(5) Carmine P. says:

1970 Buick GSX, 1970 LS6 Chevelle, 1970 Olds. 442 W-30…1970 was a good car year for me….

May 8, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(6) Harry says:

I’d like the chance to drive some of the great cars I used to own way back when to see if they were as wonderful (or awful) as i remember.
1959 Goliath Station Wagon
1962 Thunderbird
1965 Fiat 1500 Roadster
1968 Javelin SST
1969 Mach 1 Mustang (actually my Mom’s believe it or not)
1973 BMW 2002

May 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm
(7) Hawaiian Don says:

1972 JPS Lotus Europa
1970 Boss 302
1972 Triumph GR6+
1973 Jaguar XKE V12
ANY current Ferrari

May 9, 2012 at 7:46 am
(8) Scott says:

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe, Ferrari California, Maserati GranTurismo convertible, Toyota Solara, Cadillac Fleetwood any year, Chrysler New Yorker, BMW 535i, Chevrolet Corvette, and Chevrolet Caprice.

May 9, 2012 at 10:57 am
(9) Matt B. says:

@Scott – we have a ’99 solara that I would be happy to let you drive anytime. Showing its age but it’s a nice car with a smooth v6.

May 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(10) JB says:

1.) 70 – 72 Pontiac Trans Am 455 (I really don’t have a good explanation)
2.) Last generation Porsche 928
3.) Any Porsche 911 turbo
4.) Volkswagen Phaeton W12
5.) 2012 Camaro ZL1
6.) 2012 Mustang Boss 302
7.) 2011 Mercedes CL 65 AMG
8.) 2003+ Dodge Viper
9.) Early 90′s Corvette ZR1
10.) 69 Chevelle SS 396

The list could easily get into the hundreds but these are the first 10 that came to mind.

May 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm
(11) J Kyle says:

No steam vehicle? That’s high on my list.

Also…
Ariel Atom
McLaren F1
Lamborghini LM002
Some sort of big-block ’65-70 Plymouth with a 4-speed
Bentley Blower and/or classic Bugatti (not the current monstrosity)

May 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(12) George in Ohio says:

Pretty pedestrian list for me. Looking at older cars, I definitely would want to re-drive a 1966 GTO, and I would love to try an Avanti (not picky on the engine). My dad had a ’64 Bonneville convertible with Pontiac’s biggest 8 cylinder engine that I never got a crack at. I just remember it “rumbling” when he drove it. I’d also love to drive a DeLorean. Oh, yeah – always wanted to test drive a Triumph, seventies vintage. Strangely, for some reason, driving a Porsche, Lotus, or all of the other exotics has never appealed to me.

Of the current cars that I haven’t driven, I’d like a to have a go at the WRX-STI, the new Golf R, and the Lancer Evolution.

May 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(13) D'Acquisto Motors says:

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

May 14, 2012 at 2:20 am
(14) Daniel Cote says:

Acura NSX … just once.

May 15, 2012 at 9:26 am
(15) MsMinKCK says:

1. Lamborhini; doesn’t matter which one
2. Audi A8
3. Honda NSX
4. 2015 Ford Mustang

May 15, 2012 at 9:34 am
(16) Frank says:

ac cobra is the one car i’d like to drive before i die i’ve had a split window vette a plymouth gtx (67′) with the four forty magnum the only other vechicles i would like to drive might certain motorcycles (avicent black shodow, an mv augusta, asst. cafe racers etc etc etc

May 15, 2012 at 9:42 am
(17) Lee-Johnson says:

VW-Karmann-Ghia-convertable
Bentley-GTC
Packard-Convertable
Rolls-Royce-Corniche
My-first-car-DeSoto

(the-spacebar-on-my-compuKer-doesn’t-work)

May 17, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(18) paul armetta says:

Nissan GTR, 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang, any classic year Chrysler 300

October 30, 2013 at 2:45 am
(19) ___ ___ _________ says:

You made some really good points there. I looked on the
net to learn more about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.