1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Preview drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost

By November 29, 2012

2014 Ford FiestaYesterday I got my chance to drive the Fiesta with the new three-cylinder turbocharged engine we talked about. What was it like? Check out my 2014 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost preview drive. -- Aaron Gold

Photo Ford

Comments
November 29, 2012 at 9:52 am
(1) Jeff says:

Aaron, I am confused about the drivetrain. In the middle of the review, you inferred that you were driving a euro spec car, but with a US gearing. At the close, you said you would provide another update once you drove a US spec car.

I like the idea of the new ecoboost line. Already drove the 2.0 in the new Fusion and it was a very smooth/powerful ride. On my short list when I replace my Accord that has 130K+ (4 cyl)

November 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(2) Zdravko - Toronto says:

I really don’t see the point of having this engine, unless it delivers at least 45 mpg, and it doesn’t cost more than $1500 than the 1.6 liter one. What is worse, it is also available in the Focus (or it will be shortly), and I am worried it will seriously cripple the car.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for small turbo engines, but only when they do better in at least 2 of 3 categories – speed, price, consumption. Europeans are used to small cars going to 100 km/h in 11-13 sec, so they don’t care so much about the speed factor. But the catch is that those numbers come from turbo-diesels, which easily get 50 American MPG.

Overall, I hope that engine doesn’t turn the Fiesta into another Prius C, where Aaron calculated you need to drive it 130k miles before you start saving money over the regular Yaris.

November 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(3) Aaron Gold - Guide to Cars says:

Jeff, the car I drove was Euro-geared. That aside, Ford told us the powertrain was identical to what is coming to the US.

Aaron

November 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm
(4) Ross says:

Sounds good, the only concern I have is the – 5 – speed manual. Would it be too much to ask to get a 6 speed?

November 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm
(5) Hawaiian Don says:

Agreed Ross. Why is anyone even offering a 5 speed? I know they are cheaper, but a 4 speed is cheaper yet, but nobody puts those out! It aggravates me to no end that my Golf is a 5 speed as well. Revving ar 3000 rpm at 70 is definitely less fuel efficient than 2500 rpm with a 6th gear…at least 3mpg more efficient and quieter too.

December 1, 2012 at 11:03 am
(6) Eric says:

Agreed! I love manuals, and am thrilled that this car offers one exclusively at this point. However, in this day and age, a six speed would be more appropriate. What’s one more gear?