1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Opinions wanted: Gifts for car buffs

By December 5, 2012

Car wash kitThis year, I wanted to do something a little different -- for me, that is -- and put together a list of gift suggestions for car buffs. Here's the thing: There are about a billion of these lists on the Internet, and they all have pretty much the same things -- Radar detectors, sunglasses, driving gloves (Seriously? Does anyone actually wear those?)... you know the drill.

I want to produce something unique -- a list of unusual items (or experiences) that goes beyond the cliches, to the things us gearheads really want to have (or do). I have a few good ideas, but I wanted to toss this out to you, the regulars. Whether you have a casual interest or permanent grease stains under your fingernails, I'd like your opinion, please: What's your dream car-related gift? Have you gotten a car-themed gift that was really fantastic -- or one that totally missed the mark? Click the "comments" link and have your say. -- Aaron Gold

Photo (of a proper car wash kit) Aaron Gold

Comments
December 5, 2012 at 3:11 am
(1) Hawaiian Don says:

Black satin or leather jacket with car brand logo patch on front left.
Baseball cap with logo for thrifty minded.
Subscription to favorite car rag.
Book of history of their car.
Cool Gear Shift Knob.
Driving Mocks.
Customized Floor Mats.
Car Cover with embroidered logo.
Watch with car logo.

December 5, 2012 at 6:36 am
(2) standonit says:

Last Christmas I received from my wife the gift of “NASCAR Driving Experience.” To put it mildly, THIS WAS A GREAT GIFT!!!
To be able to drive a Cup car at Charlotte Motor Speedway at speeds of 155mph was great.
I would definitely recommend it to gearheads and dreamers of driving a real race day.

December 5, 2012 at 8:52 am
(3) sexy grampa says:

I love Griot’s Garage Speed Shine. I use it on my car’s exterior, interior, engine, everything. It’s so good I now use it on my bicycles (including wheels) and have taken it into the house and make surfaces in every room shine.

Sexy Gramma is amazed at how beautiful everything looks and has even given bottles to friends who could care less about their cars as gifts.

December 5, 2012 at 9:22 am
(4) irloyal says:

Clive Cusslers Coffee Table Book on his auto collection – Way Cool
Gift Certificate for the local car detail guys – They are usually avaialble
Pre- Loaded Sonic Card – Great for thos hot summer nights cruising…

December 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(5) George in Ohio says:

This was not a Christmas gift, but my wife had my car cleaned/detailed for my birthday, a gesture I thoroughly appreciated.

December 7, 2012 at 9:20 am
(6) Brian says:

Most major cities offer some sort of an exotic car rental, either for a day or weekend depending on your price limit.

December 7, 2012 at 10:16 am
(7) Eric says:

Parts for your classic car resto are always appreciated!!

December 11, 2012 at 1:24 am
(8) Hawaiian Don says:

I just found out my wife is secretly getting me an new Audi TT!!!

December 11, 2012 at 1:26 am
(9) Hawaiian Don says:

Darn it! I just woke up and it was just a dream!
:-(