1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Photo gallery: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

By January 14, 2013

2014 Chevrolet CorvetteGreetings from Detroit! I'm here for the North American International Auto Show, and last night I got to attend the world premiere of the long-awaited 2014 Chevrolet Corvette (which, by the way, has officially re-adopted the super-cool "Stingray" moniker).

The unveiling was a typical auto-show affair with booming music and a fancy light show, but as I waited for the silk shroud to be pulled off the car, I couldn't help but think about what a cool moment this was. Some people like the Corvette, some people hate it, but the 'Vette is ours -- for better or for worse, it's America's sports car, and being among the first people to see it in person was very, very cool.

By the time you read this, there will be about a billion Corvette photos up on the Internet, so it's only natural that I should add a few -- check out my 2014 Chevrolet Corvette photo gallery for some specs and a closer look at the new car. As always, your thoughts are welcome and appreciated -- click the "comments" link and fire away. -- Aaron Gold

A look back at the C6 Corvette:

Photo © General Motors

Comments
January 14, 2013 at 8:49 am
(1) hunter1968 says:

wow…from the pictures…me likey!

January 14, 2013 at 8:50 am
(2) fr8bil says:

GM styling dummies went and put Camaro tail-lights on the ‘Vette despite all the contrary, pre-production comments and complaints. That little failure to listen to the Corvette faithful will cost them big.

January 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
(3) Steve in GA says:

I have to agree with those who say that GM design stylists had at least one eye on Ferrari when they drew up the new Stingray. Corvette styling is definitely trending toward the exotic.

With new EPA fuel economy standards making it more and more expensive to produce cars like the Stingray, I wonder whether GM will also move Corvette prices toward the exotic, too. If so, GM’s plan may be to sell only a few Stingrays each year at exorbitant prices, and the MPG of those few ‘Vettes won’t be too much of a drag on GM’s overall CAFÉ rating.

I hope that is not the plan, but I’m afraid that it is. The Corvette has always been a stretch for working guys to afford, but it was attainable if you were willing to make sacrifices. It would be a shame if government mandates ruin this dream for 98% of America.

January 14, 2013 at 10:49 am
(4) Mike in Minn says:

I know Corvettes should be red, but I prefer the silver. It brings a kind of understatement that normally eludes domestic cars.

January 14, 2013 at 11:57 am
(5) Bill H says:

Yea! The last beautiful Vette was the Stingray and now GM has
finally gotten some good people together again.
Thank you for comming back with a fine looking automible, it was way past time.
If I were 25/30 yrs younger I would buy one right now but I will stick with my BMW sedan.

January 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(6) irloyal says:

I really don’t like the Camaro tail lights.
I really don’t like no hide-away headlamps.
I think everything else is A-OK.

I can’t wait to see the deals on the 2012 C6′s since I really can’t afford a new C7.

January 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm
(7) jeff says:

I think they will sell like hotcakes, as Corvette’s go. The interior quality alone will bring a slew of people who’s only reason for not buying it was the interior. I think it looks just like a freshened Corvette design and not a Ferrari which I have read from several people. But even if it does look Ferrariesque to some, is that such a bad thing? At less than half the price?
I do think they should have stuck with the round taillights.

January 14, 2013 at 5:57 pm
(8) John from Mt. Hamilton says:

What are the “links to classic Corvettes of the past?” I see the little stingray badge you mention but, to me, this new design doesn’t look like anything from the past. Maybe the bulging front fenders? In any case, it certainly looks great in its own right, but it does seem more Ferrari-like than Corvette-like.

I too worry that Corvettes are gradually moving into the realm of the exotic and out of the reach of the average Joe. Although the idea may be anathema to many (f not most), I’d like to see an optional high-output V6 that delivers better fuel economy. I’d imagine just slightly degraded acceleration numbers, but (possibly) better braking and handling numbers. This strategy would also help to keep the everyman’s Vette in “attainable” territory.

January 14, 2013 at 11:28 pm
(9) Zdravko - Toronto says:

Too bad GM have still not learned how to build a proper sports car. Two words – leaf springs! Seriously?

Autoblopnik (dot) com got an amazing story on the topic, and also a great story on the Civic. (Thank you, Aaron, for showing it to us).

January 14, 2013 at 11:55 pm
(10) Ross says:

Zdravko, you forgot to mention the pushrods, Gasp!

I have no idea what your deluded idea of what a “proper” sports car is, but bias for the sake of bias is moronic.

Care to explain why you think “leaf springs” detract from the car?

January 15, 2013 at 8:52 am
(11) Bob G says:

I sure it looks a heck of a lot better in person…Personally the looks are way too much Euro or Asian in my opinion..

I have 6 Corvettes in my garages..and I do not think a C7 is going to be added or replace one of those 6….

Lord PLEASE let it be more appealing to my eyes up close and personal..

Bob G..

January 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(12) Hawaiaan Don says:

As a former Corvette owner(’79 L82) who had a less than trouble free experience, I commend GM for keeping this American icon fresh, yet keeping many of its old and cherished styling cues. I confess that there is a unique excitement in owning/driving this “legend”.
The performance numbers are remarkable for the price of past models. Like John’s comment above, I hope that the Corvette can maintain prices somewhat affordable as they are now.
As for me, there is a greater cache driving the new Boss 302, another great American icon.

January 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm
(13) Eric says:

I like it overall. My only gripe, and it’s a big one, is the Camaroesque taillights. Round taillights have been a Corvette hallmark nearly since the car’s inception. Why Chevy seems to feel compelled to put Camaro design cues on several other of their models is beyond me, and reprehensible on a car like this one. It’s almost demeaning.

Beyond that, the car has some decent lines to it, and the upgraded interior quality should be welcome to Corvette enthusiasts. Seems like the performance numbers are there too. As for the cost, I’ve never considered the Corvette as anything near affordable for the “average Joe.” I could never have afforded this car when I was making $50K/yr, and I certainly can’t now that I’m making much less. Although it’s never been in the realm of exotic car prices, it hasn’t been an affordable car for the masses since the 1960′s.

January 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(14) lwatcdr says:

Yep needs round taillights
Maybe next year they will redo the back end and fix that. The new interior is very nice looking in the pictures over all I would give it a B+ for styling and yes a lot of that is just for the tail lights.

January 15, 2013 at 11:20 pm
(15) Hawaiian Don says:

P.S.
Everything about this car is angular. The tail lights work perfectly with the rest of the design. Personally, I think it a real stretch to call those Camaro tail lights…IMHO.

January 16, 2013 at 10:33 pm
(16) three west says:

looks OK, but the C5 is still my personal contemporary vette favorite.
As for the square taillights, those aren’t new, right?
The ZR1 had them too eh? And I remember grumbles about it then too.