1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Vote: Best car chase scene

By February 27, 2013

It's an ages-old question that car fans have been debating for yars -- so let's solve it once and for all. Vote for up to three (after all, who can pick just one?) and if you think I've missed one of the major ones, put it in the Comments section.

Comments
February 27, 2013 at 9:33 am
(1) Steve in GA says:

For me, there are three of these chase scenes that stand out above the others, but number one has to be Bullitt.

Bullitt just has so much going for it: San Francisco scenery and hilly streets with the desirable and affordable muscle cars of the day, no photography tricks to make the cars just look like they were going fast, none of today’s CGI wizardry and fakery, and maybe above all, Steve McQueen was actually at the wheel of that Mustang in most of the chase scene shots. Given today’s lawsuit-happy mindset, no movie production company will ever be able to duplicate the Bullitt chase scene under the same conditions.

The other two standouts are Ronin and The Bourne Identity (I would have also added Bourne Supremacy to the list of great chases, too). The wrong-way sprints into one-way streets in these movies are absolutely hair-raising.

February 27, 2013 at 10:01 am
(2) Chris says:

I second adding Ronin to the list.

February 27, 2013 at 11:30 am
(3) Dave says:

The chase scene from The Blues Brothers was pretty original at the time.

February 27, 2013 at 11:33 am
(4) Aaron Gold - Cars Guide says:

Er, Ronin is on the list.

February 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(5) ChrisF says:

There was an excellent chase scene in the Roy Scheider movie “The Seven Ups” that deserves to be on this list. The scene from “Bullitt” is the one everybody remembers, but the one from The Seven Ups is just as good, IMHO. Both feature the same excellent stunt driver driving the “bad guy” car.

February 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(6) LeeMc says:

I think you have the wrong Bourne movie car chase as an option. Bourne Supremacy (the one through moscow) had one of the best car chases ever put on film. I don’t even remember the car chase in the Bourne Identity. And you got to give some love to the original Gone in 60 Seconds. The Gone in 60 Seconds remake doesn’t even belong on this list. You should replace it with The Blues Brothers or Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.

February 27, 2013 at 4:48 pm
(7) George in Ohio says:

It’s not exactly a car chase scene, but Sean Connery/James Bond does a pretty good job of messing up a number of bad guys in cars in a car parking lot scene in Diamonds Are Forever. Goldfinger has a pretty good car chase as well. Not as iconic as Bullitt, which to me is still the best. Yeah, I know…I’m showing my age…

February 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(8) M says:

How about Vanishing Point, where the entire movie was a chase scene. Dodge Challenger w/a 440ci running flat out across the country with police chases throughout the movie.

February 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm
(9) Jeff R. says:

You left off Blues Brothers??? And I can’t help thinking about Smokey and the Bandit, the whole movie was a car chase!!

February 27, 2013 at 11:28 pm
(10) Bill H says:

I like Bullit mainly because it is the only one out of hundreds that seems closest to what almost could be a very real chase.
My second choice is The French Connection that almost is as good.

I just watched Bruce Willis in his latest movie A Good Day To Die Hard with a very wild chase but it was also comical and no where near reality.
But it holds your attention.

All these super, crazy chases have to much graphic computer production that make them botring. But the younger set could care less they enjoy anything that’s wild, violent, very fast and totally unreal

February 28, 2013 at 6:51 am
(11) Eric says:

My all-time favorite is the Bullitt chase. I also like the realism, the fact that McQueen drove a good portion of it, and that the scene featured two of the best known and affordable Muscle cars of the day. They just don’t exist anymore.

I’ll have to go back and watch Ronin, but, the Blues Brothers chase was always a favorite of mine, and I’ll have to go with both chases from the Bourne Identity and Supremacy movies. The Bourne Identity chase with the Mini Cooper was well executed, and the one from Supremacy involving the Russian taxi is just wild.

February 28, 2013 at 7:12 am
(12) Eric says:

Gotta add the Ronin chase to my list of faves. Just watched it on YouTube. My main reasons, aside from the driving, are that it takes place in Europe, and features two of my favorite cars from that era, and one in particular. I lived in Germany for a couple of years recently, and owned a E34 BMW sedan just like the one in the movie. Although I never drove my car like that (I’d be in a German prison right now if I had), the combination of seeing that car in that setting brought back a lot of good memories of driving mine around Europe. The Peugeot chase car was also one of my favorite European cars of the 90′s.

Also watched the 70′s version of Gone in 60 seconds. Very well done also. Few modern chase scenes compare to the ones done during the 60-80′s. Only the Bourne chases seem to live up.

February 28, 2013 at 7:53 am
(13) Hawaiian Don says:

Love Vanishing Point, but Bullitt defines the genre. Between McQueen’s dark, gritty coolness, the SF city streets and that Mustang…it’s freakin’ perfect, man!!!

February 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(14) Dave says:

What’s up Doc. Volkswagens, Chinese dragons, and San Francisco. Who could ask for more?

March 2, 2013 at 1:47 am
(15) Jay says:

This is a little off subject , but does anyone remember Nissan’s 350Z commercial that introduced the car? Didn’t even show the car, but showed it racing through streets from a front facing mounted camera. Greatest car commercial of all time. For me in movies and car chase scenes I would say is the greatest would be Bullit first because it really started it all, Vanishing Point, The Seven Ups, Ronin, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The French Connection and the Blues Brothers.

March 5, 2013 at 6:55 pm
(16) Tania says:

I agree with Jeff. Blues Brothers! Duh

March 6, 2013 at 9:51 am
(17) Drew says:

Wha?? Even with CGI, who can leave out Fast and Furious. Those street racers do it in real life and are a pest to the public and LEOs. Come on Aaron. The list is woefully short

July 4, 2013 at 12:02 pm
(18) Javier says:

I agree with M, 1971, “Vanishing Point”, Dodge Challenger, 440, Pistol Grip Shifter, from start to finish, cross country chase. Saw it as a kid. 11 years old at the time, stuck with me this whole time. More so than Bullitt

Also Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.