1. Autos

Aaron Gold

Updated for 2014: Best cars for teens

By February 11, 2014

2014 Ford Fiesta - Best Cars for TeensTake me straight to the list!

Best Cars for Teens has always been a popular article on this site, and in the latest revision, I've made some big changes: Five of the ten cars on the list are new.

That got me to thinking about how much the scene has changed. Just a few short years ago, cars with electronic stability control (ESC) were rare; in fact, the Subaru Impreza was a staple on the list because it was the only car that had ESC and all wheel drive, making it virtually impossible to make the car not go where you pointed it. Today, ESC is manditory and there are cars on the list with ten airbags. (The Impreza is still there, by the way.) Say all you want about the evils of legislation, but I'm glad to see that cars are getting safer.

Okay, enough throat-clearing -- check out my updated list of the Ten Best Cars for Teens. -- Aaron Gold

Photo Aaron Gold

Comments
February 11, 2014 at 1:52 am
(1) Eric says:

Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about teen drivers for another 4-5 years. Even then, none of these cars will be in my driveway for the simple reason that there is no way in *$%# that we are going to buy our kids a brand new car to drive, and it simply amazes me that other people actually have the money to do so. Mine will end up driving my (by then) 30 year old BMW or whatever sedan or CUV we end up getting for my wife in a year or two to replace her current vehicle. I can guarantee that it WON’T be anything on this list, as none of them are cars either one of us would care to drive on a daily basis.

February 11, 2014 at 2:21 am
(2) Hawaiian Don says:

I think that a new car for a teen is not a bad idea simply because of the safety features that give them an edge in accident avoidance as opposed to putting them in a “tank” that handles poorly and has dated safety features. For the budget conscious, the Sentra is great. The Prius C teaches frugality, while the Subaru is the ultimate all purpose, all climate player. As a dad, a 3 yr old Impreza would be my choice.

February 11, 2014 at 9:29 am
(3) Ron says:

Don, you have a good point, but the biggest risk is when young/new drivers have multiple passengers in the vehicle. Studies indicate that drivers are more distracted when they have multiple passengers than even when TALKING on a cell phone. Therefore I say a 2 passenger vehicle like a short bed or midsized pick-up truck is a safer choice. I’d rather be in a 2005 or newer F-series over any new compact car any day if in a crash. Also, visiblity in many of these trucks is actually better than many compacts that I have driven.

February 11, 2014 at 11:55 am
(4) ChrisF says:

I agree with Eric…my son is 5 years away from driving, and there’s no way in hell he’s getting a brand new car. By the time he’s ready to drive, both of our cars will be 10 years old. He gets the beater, I get the new Hemi Challenger. :D

February 11, 2014 at 1:59 pm
(5) Jake says:

Cars for teens give me a break!!…. our family NEW car is in this category. My kids drive a 98 Buick…. does them just fine… and I drive a 93 Chevy with 190K miles. Heck, I’d like one of the cars in this category. All the of the kids at the local High School drive newer cars than I do…. But my 401K is a LOT bigger.

February 11, 2014 at 9:47 pm
(6) Eric says:

You’re a man after my heart, ChrisF. The Hemi Challenger is what I’d buy for my next new car too. It’ll never happen, but, it’s nice to dream!

February 12, 2014 at 12:43 am
(7) Hawaiian Don says:

Jake…as long as you live long enough to bust that 401k loose.

February 12, 2014 at 2:07 am
(8) Robert says:

Maybe a spell checker should be manditory, I mean mandatory too!

February 13, 2014 at 12:14 am
(9) Br549 says:

Don, get lost you troll.

February 13, 2014 at 10:16 am
(10) ChrisF says:

Dare to dream Eric, lol!

February 13, 2014 at 10:33 am
(11) chuckmanson says:

Disappointed that the Mazda 3 did not make your list?