1. Autos

Pontiac G8 - Best Cars for DadsSince I'm on this whole Top Picks kick, I thought I'd get a jump on Father's Day by updating my Top Ten Cars for Dads. Most of my Top Ten lists value things like sensibility, practicality, and economy. Not this list -- it's all about looking cool (and about getting your wife/partner to OK your purchase). Check out the list, and if you're a parent of the male persuasion, feel free to click the "comments" link below and tell us what car you think is best suited to fatherhood. -- Aaron Gold

Photo © Aaron Gold

Comments
June 5, 2008 at 9:49 am
(1) Chuck Manson says:

You won’t look cool driving an Altima, definitely a mom’s cheap car.

Boxster?? Chick mobile.

Sebring?? Maybe if you’re a first time dad who had to get married before he graduated from high school?

Where’s the Mustang? How could you make a list without a Mustang???

Replace the girlie Boxster with a Corvette.

Replace Sebring with the Honda Accord EX L V6.

C

June 5, 2008 at 10:18 am
(2) Tyler says:

How can you leave out the all-new BMW M3 you raved about, and in its place the IS F which is pretty much the same price? Real men don’t drive anything that is automatic with 8 gears :)

June 5, 2008 at 10:40 am
(3) lwatcdr says:

Okay why do the moms cars tend to be practical while the Dads list is loaded with V8s?

My list?
1. A Jeep. Great to take the kids fishing or camping.
2. Mazdaspeed3. Okay dads want to have fun but they also have to put gas in the car and put the kids through college. The Speed3 will take you too work all week and then take the kids to the track to watch dad run autocross on Saturday.
3. Mazda5 not a minivan but good at hauling the kids. Fold down the seats and it will haul a bunch of stuff from home improvement store.
4. Mercury Milan, gets good mileage, comfy, Sync is a great toy, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
5. Toyota Prius. If you have to commute in stop and go traffic it really does get great mileage.
6. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Four doors and you will be one of the coolest Dads ever.
7 Chevy HHR SS. Put some racks on it and take the kids surfing or kayaking.
8. Honda Fit. Dad’s got to pay the bills and the Fit is a great car for not too much money.
9. Nissan Versa. Hey need more room and a few more toys than the Fit?
10. Or number one depending on how you look at it.
And old Mustang, Camero, Cuda, Firebird, Buick Regal GN, Monte Carlo, Jeep, or pickup. Doesn’t need to be running yet but you need a full tool chest and spare time. Use the time and tool to teach your kids how to turn a wrench and you will build a ride, great memories, and a stronger family.

This is supposed to be a list for Dads! Not just men.
BTW my wife wants to know why the list for moms does have an SLK, Miata, or Nissan GTR on it?

June 5, 2008 at 10:58 am
(4) Aaron Gold - Cars Guide says:

Chuck: Compensating, eh? Anyway, ever try hauling your family in a Mustang? I have, and it sucks. (The Boxster works perfectly well, you simply have to decide which kid you love most.)

Tyler: I went back and forth between the M3 and the IS F. The M3 is a better car, it’s true — but it’s just too subtle.

Lwatcdr: Your wife may have a point. Miata was on last year’s list, but I got all practical this year. (Though that didn’t seem to apply for the dads list.)

June 5, 2008 at 11:01 am
(5) Chris Sykes says:

A Chrysler Sebring? Why is that on any “want list?” If you want a nice cushy car, how about a Toyota Avalon? Or any Acura.

June 5, 2008 at 11:28 am
(6) LWATCDR says:

The Miata is the least of my wife’s dream cars. The GTR is at the top. And yes she is in her 30s with a degree in Political Science.
In these days of $4 gas this list seems more of a list of mens cars than Dads.
Let’s be honest the VW GTI, Mazdaspeed3, Evo, and WRT all offer four doors, good milage, and a lot of fun.

June 5, 2008 at 1:08 pm
(7) Allura says:

Hubby got his new Dodge Charger. But I hated that stupid car, a big-engine, priapic fetish-fantasy if I ever saw one. A year later, it’s gone and we’re driving a used Caddy. He’s not complaining; he got the speed and the big engine, I got the comfort and the looks.

June 5, 2008 at 1:11 pm
(8) Chuck Manson says:

Aaron,

Compensating? Au contraire my stubby little friend. My choices reflect my need for speed and fun. Not a replacement for my manhood ;op

I thought this was a list for cool dads? My teenagers won’t think I’m cool if I drive your Altima or Sebring. Or as someone mentioned, HHR, Prius, Honda Fit???

Boxster= Chick car. I’ve owned 3 Porsches and the Boxster is a chicks car. I’d buy one for my wife(sure, I’d borrow it sometimes) but I’d never tell anyone it was mine.LOL

C

June 5, 2008 at 1:21 pm
(9) Aaron Gold - Cars Guide says:

>Boxster= Chick car. I’ve owned 3 Porsches and the Boxster is a chicks car.

Takes one to know one, eh, Chuck? :)

June 5, 2008 at 4:22 pm
(10) Jeff says:

You like the Sebring for the same reason I dislike it so much. Those horrible ribs on the hood. They look terrible. At least it used to LOOK okay before those things.

The fact that the car is a total piece of junk is another matter altogether.

I can actually say I agree with Chuck on this one. Although maybe fun to drive the Boxster is a total chick car. Go with the ‘vette.

June 5, 2008 at 6:06 pm
(11) Mike in Minn says:

See that’s why I read this site. “Family-friendly-but-boring-as-whale-poop SUV”? Good stuff my friend.

On another note: I’m so easily entertained that I actually bought an Altima…and like it. So far, though, my manhood hasn’t been threatened sufficiently by old age or impending domesticity, so no mid-life crises have compelled me to drive a less practical car. Still, though, just for thrills I’d love to fill one of the stalls in my garage with a G8. Looks like cheep fun to me. So maybe just garden variety boredom will be my Waterloo. We’ll see.

June 5, 2008 at 8:14 pm
(12) Shaun says:

The “Family-friendly-but-boring-as-whale-poop SUV”? was really good. I think I have to agree with lwatcdr towards the end of his post. I think the greatest cool dad car would be a restored classic. I sometimes long for the ’69 Maverick Grabber coupe that I once drove (go ahead and laugh, but it was a cool car). Or my all time yearning…’69 Mustang GT-350.

On another note, a good friend of mine and her sister were raised by a single father who owned a Nissan 300ZX and also procured a Twin turbo, T-top version of the same car in a different color. Everyone thought he was cool as hell, but now she jokes that the reason she is so short is that she was crammed into the non existent back seat of that car;)

June 6, 2008 at 1:49 am
(13) hawaiian don says:

What… no Vette?

June 6, 2008 at 7:46 am
(14) Eric says:

I also have to agree with iwatcdr. I love my 66 Dodge Charger. It’s cool, and it’s paid for.

June 6, 2008 at 10:02 am
(15) LWATCDR says:

Oh yea I have to agree with the majority on one thing.
Dump the Sebring their are some good US made cars the Sebring isn’t one of them.

June 8, 2008 at 8:36 pm
(16) J Kyle says:

Shocking – no WRX or STI? What other car blends road-melting performance (better speed and handling than any car on the list) with practical concerns, like four doors, AWD, pretty decent mileage, a roomy hatchback, top-notch safety, bulletproof reliability, and great resale value? (OK, the Evo comes close in some regards, but I think the Sube is the choice in terms of safety and reliability, and the hatchback helps, too!)

June 10, 2008 at 11:01 am
(17) Steve says:

You left out the coolest Dodge ever-the Magnum. And Chrysler, in there wisdom, has decided to quit making it! Too bad; Its got room for all the kids. and the two dogs too, plus all of the go of a Charger. And for me and the wife, a Crossfire Convertable. And to haul our race car to the track, an old Dodge Crew Cab (1983 model that the twins keep running, my son, his girl freind, and my daughter, and her boy freind).

June 10, 2008 at 11:14 am
(18) Robert Plumer says:

Many of the selections I noticed were sedans which is one of the criteria I would say fit a father mobile. I would leave some selections on the list with a few substitution though. First I’d switch the Altima with an Impala SS. Why because my mother drives an Altima and that should be enough reason. Plus I drive an Impala and I find it practical enough for family stuff yet not embarrassing to be seen in. Another would be take out the Audi and substitute with any BMW model. I just personally don’t like any Audi. I can’t pinpoint why but I just can’t bring myself to like them. With the Porsche I’d just go with the 911 and get it over with. Like someone else said the Corvette needs to be in there too along with the new Camaro.I’d probably switch out the Lexus and Infiniti. I don’t know too many guys that say I’d wish I had one of those cars anyway. Of course then the list would turn into a Father’s Day Dream Car list.

June 10, 2008 at 4:05 pm
(19) Andrew says:

Is this a list of “Practical” but cool cars?? Cause if it isn’t about practical but about cool, then why not make a wish list of cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo, Reventon, Bugatti Veyron and vehicles of that like. None of the cars except for the Audi would be accepted anywhere else in the world as “COOL”. As one person stated in his list for cool cars, where’s the Subaru, which can outhaul and outgun every other vehicle on the list, even with the family loaded in. And the fun factor, and definitely “COOL” factor of the Evo, again another “family” sedan that can outhaul these behemoths with a family and dog loaded in it. Where is the GT-R also? That’s supposed to be mega-cool for hauling the family. Why go with these huge style unconscious behemoths made by the Big 3? That’s great-grandad cool, even Jurassic cool but not today cool. Oops! I forgot. We went back to the days of the Flintstones to find out what was cool.
Buying gas for a Suburban may look cool to some people and it may look like a supreme waste and insult to practical people, but then the word COOL and PRACTICAL have always been opposed to each other, even in the dictionary. Remember Jimmy Dean in Rebel “Without” a Cause.
Lets give the readers the task of going out and making the list of real-world “COOL” vehicles and not leave it to some editor of About.com to tell us what is really cool or not. You may be surprised at what the list comes up with.
By the way, it seems that the word cool in 2008 is synonymous with ugly. Nearly all manufacturers have signed a pact to create some very ugly vehicles and foist them off on the public as cool. And please leave the Corvette off the wish list. Like it’s distant cousin the Hummer, it appears to be the ugliest vehicle on four wheels, and that’s ugly spelt with a Capital H… Hhhuugleeee.

November 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(20) Moi says:

What’s with the next and previous you have to hit an ungodly amount of times before you get to the end of the article? Forcing people to refresh advertisements went out a few years ago.. so you at about.com have something in common then?