1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Updated: Best New Cars of 2013

By January 25, 2013

2013 Ford Focus STAfter giving it a lot of thought, I've decided to break one of my hard-and-fast rules and put the 2013 Ford Focus ST on the Best New Cars of 2013 list. (The rule, incidentally, is that I must have driven all the contenders before the list is posted on January 1st. Technically, I did drive the Focus ST on a racetrack before the cutoff date, but I didn't get to drive it on the streets until after the New Year.) The Focus ST is, as I said earlier, a truly great car -- and to leave it off The List would be a disservice to both the car and the site. Here's why the Focus ST made the list. I'll have a full review of the Ford Focus ST on Monday, provided the flu (or whatever illness seems to have descended upon me) doesn't kill me first. -- Aaron Gold

Photo Aaron Gold

Comments
January 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(1) Mike says:

This FOCUS is not worth the money, no where near a MAZDA or new CHEVY SONIC, who paid you to vote for the FORD? Still 6 air bags, small gas tank, pour fuel economy and 40,000 miles short on drive train warranty.

January 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm
(2) Hawaiian Don says:

I am impressed by the Fusion in every way. It is the champ in the Camry/Accord class…hands down!
The Spark is one heckova deal. It is everything the iQ, Accent and Fiesta could have been.
My pick for #1?
Fusion!!!

January 25, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(3) Lwatcdr says:

Good list. The Boxter? It would be really odd for it not to be a great car. Same with the 911. The Lexus LS? I am just not a Lexus fan. But hey I have not driven the LS so maybe it is a good car. Over all I think it is a good list. For me the winner”s” should be the BRZ/FR-S. Those two are the 1964 1/2 Mustang, Datsun 240z of this decade. The last car launched that had the icon potential of those two was the Miata.

January 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm
(4) George in Ohio says:

OK, I have decided that I am officially a fuddy-duddy. Usually, I agree with Hawaiian Don. But, as I said in another thread, the new Fusion does absolutely nothing for me in the looks department. I’ve seen several of them on the road, and while I admire the craftsmanship behind the design, I just do not care for it. Yes, I’m in the minority. But I much prefer the new Accord, looks-wise, in large measure because of the low beltline/large glasshouse design. I would like to test drive a Fusion to see what everyone is raving about, but I’m guessing it would take a pretty smashing driving experience to get me to pull the trigger on one. If I’m buying a midsize today, it’s probably a race between an Accord, Passat, and Legacy – all of which have large glass areas and low beltlines. So yes – I admit that, at 62, I have become a fuddy-duddy. Never thought I would see the day.

January 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm
(5) Eric says:

I’ll have to agree on the Focus ST, but, with comments. I like most of the Ford lineup as it’s evolved today. Having spent a couple of years in Germany recently, I saw both the Focus and Fusion (Mondeo there) all over the country. Both were good looking cars, and I had thought at that time that the Mondeo would be a perfect replacement for the aging Fusion. I also think that the current Fusion is a much better looking car than the Sonata, and even the new Accord.

That said, I also think that Ford could have found a much better car to put their gorgeous Evos face onto than a mid-sized family sedan. The next Mustang would have been the better pick in my book, and to adapt the Evos style to the Mustang now would be anticlimactic at best, and an insult to the icon at worst as the Mustang is deserving of a style all it’s own in my book.

I’d give both cars a look if I were in the market for one of these cars, but, I also like the new Mazda 6, and would even consider the Kia Optima, the one and only Kia I care for at all.

January 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm
(6) George in Ohio says:

Oh, yeah, the Mazda 6 – you’re right, Eric, that’s a contender too. Forgot about that one. Looks much nicer to me than the Fusion does. When do you get to drive it, Aaron?

January 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm
(7) Aaron Gold - Cars Guide says:

George — Funnily enough, I’m going to Texas tomorrow to drive it.

– Aaron