1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

Chevrolet to rebrand all models with Corvette nameplate

By April 1, 2013

Chevrolet Corvette bowtie logoChevrolet today announced a bold new marketing initiative in which all of their vehicles will carry Corvette badging.

"Just as Toyota has introduced Prius as a sub-brand, we plan to do the same with Corvette," said Chevrolet spokeswoman Dinah Shore. "We've already shown our new sports car, the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. For the 2014 model year, we will re-introduce roughly half of Chevrolet's models as Corvettes, including the subcompact Chevrolet Corvette Spark and Chevrolet Corvette Sonic, the mid-size Chevrolet Corvette Malibu, and of course our legendary pickup truck, the Chevrolet Corvette Silverado. By the 2017 model year, all Chevrolets will be branded as Chevrolet Corvettes."

Shore explained that the Chevrolet brand is recognized by nearly 54% of Americans, while 67% are familiar with the Corvette name.

"By combining the two names," Shore said, "we can achieve over 100% brand recognition, a feat that even Toyota and Honda have been unable to accomplish." -- Aaron Gold

Related:

Photo General Motors

Comments
April 1, 2013 at 12:22 am
(1) Zdravko - Toronto says:

Aaron, I hope Ford do the same thing. No one is buying their boring cars nowadays, people only care about the F-150. So I think they should rename all their cars, trucks, vans, scooters, and even that one bicycle model F-150. Imagine F-150 Focus, or F-150 Mondeo? In America anyone needs and a wants an F-150 or a Corvette only anyways, so now everyone will be pleased. GM made a brilliant move with that renaming idea, Ford must follow or become forgotten.

April 1, 2013 at 5:21 am
(2) Karsten says:

This must be an April Fool’s article. Nice try, Aaron!

April 1, 2013 at 6:19 am
(3) Scott says:

When I read this my first thought was WTF?! Then I checked my calendar. Real funny, Aaron :P

April 1, 2013 at 6:39 am
(4) Bob says:

I can only hope this is an April fools joke, as a vette owner this would be terrible.

April 1, 2013 at 6:58 am
(5) Eric says:

Actually, why not? Toward the end, Oldsmobile almost did the same thing by naming half their vehicles some sort of Cutlass.

April 1, 2013 at 7:35 am
(6) HarryB says:

From what I understand all the new Corvettes will be powered by the same Kawasaki 22HP V-twin regardless of the model in an attempt to reduce costs. The new power plant will be built in Mexico, (thanks NAFTA). Fortunately or unfortunately they will be E85 flex fuel ready. A 12HP diesel hybrid option is is the works as well, choice of pedal styles will fill out your choices.

April 1, 2013 at 7:58 am
(7) Boby Thompson says:

“Dinah Shore”???? Good one, Aaron, for us old chaps who used to “See the USA in our Chevrolet”. Actually, if Chevrolet would reduce the size of (or even eliminate) that big brassy logo, their redesigned cars would look so much more appealing.

April 1, 2013 at 9:49 am
(8) Robert says:

Another lame April Fool’s joke by Aaron!

April 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(9) Al says:

Dina Shore….nice touch Aaron! See the USA in a Chevy Corvette Impala! Time to bring back the Chevy Corvette Nomad. One of the best April Fool’s I’ve ever seen.

April 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm
(10) Albo says:

These April Fools jokes get more lame everyday. Next thing you know customers will call Chevy dealers and ask about this garbage and the salesperson knows nothing about it. Customer uses the normal “your dealer is an idiot” verbage and thinks all Chevy guys are the same. In a related story, I heard About.com just fired Aaron Gold for being a moron. Hope your kids don’t read this today, think it’s true and hurt themselves. That would suck.

April 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(11) Aaron Gold - Cars Guide says:

Lucky for me, Albo, About.com does not see being a moron as a fireable offence. — Aaron

April 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm
(12) jeff says:

Not nearly as lame as some of the commenters though, eh Albo?

April 1, 2013 at 1:25 pm
(13) Tracy says:

I’m looking forward to them bringing back the Chevy Corvette Chevette!

April 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm
(14) Brian in AZ says:

Didn’t think you were old enough to remember DInah Shore Aaron. Nice one!

April 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm
(15) Ross says:

Bring back the Corvette Chevette.

April 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(16) Janet Sala says:

Absolutely loved, the Dinah Shore quote! That’s what queued me in to the April Fool’s Day prank. So let’s all sing along, “See the USA, in your Chevrolet!”

April 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm
(17) Jdevitt says:

Dinah Shore? C’mon

April 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(18) Hawaiian Don says:

Albo, get a life bro. You must be the biggest turd at any party. It was cute try, but to get insulting about it…geeeez!

April 1, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(19) Eddy says:

Really, Albo? Indeed, some folk just don’t get joke, any joke… still, to get personal about it? WTF?

April 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm
(20) Chuck Manson says:

I’d like to request a like/dislike button.

Albo: dislike

All others: Like ^5

Tracy: Like to the 10th power^^5

April 2, 2013 at 8:12 am
(21) fr8bil says:

Please tell us this was an April fool’s funny…right ?

April 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm
(22) iameriica says:

HA! HA! I do have to admit it caught my attention! LOL

April 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm
(23) Kay Burk says:

I especially like Dinah Shore being the spokesperson. It’s a classic! Guess the younger readers might not catch that.