1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Aaron Gold

The car I've been waiting to drive...

By August 12, 2013

My ID badge for the 2014 Corvette press driveGreetings from Monterey, California, where I've come to drive the new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray!

Five years ago, if you had told me that I'd be this excited to drive a Corvette, I never would have believed you. I spent years dismissing Corvettes as wannabe plastic sports cars best suited for the midlife-crisis, Members Only jacket-wearing, this-woman-with-the-fake-tan-and-artificial-boobs-is-my-niece-wink-wink crowd.

All that changed in 2008 when I spent a week with a base-model LS3 Vette, which had the then-new 430 horsepower engine with the flappy exhaust. I fell in love with the car and started my review of it with a public apology to Chevrolet and Corvette owners everywhere. I thought the car was a perfect reflection of the American persona (and remember that this was 2008, when our popularity with the rest of the world was not exactly at its peak): You may not agree with it's world-view, but spend some one-on-one time with a Corvette and it's damn near impossible not to like it.

Since then, I have driven a cadre of C6 Corvettes: The almighty ZR1 (man, what a thrill), the Z06 Carbon, and the Grand Sport, which combined the base models' 430 horsepower engine with the tighter suspension and steering setup of the Z06. (The Grand Sport remains my favorite, and I've been told by the Chevy folks that the new C7 delivers a very similar vibe.)

Was the C6 'Vette perfect? Not by a long shot. Its interior was cheap and dated. You could flex the entire rear fascia just by poking the bumper with your finger. It never felt as finely engineered as a 911. But it was loud, fast, fun, and ridiculously inexpensive for what it delivered. I love the C6 Corvette and I'm already lamenting the fact that I can't just call up Chevy and book some time with one.

So here we are in 2013, with a new Corvette on the way -- and for the first time, I'm really excited. For me, this is more than a new sports car; this is our sports car. I cannot wait to drive the new C7 Corvette and I cannot wait to tell you about it. Be sure to check back tomorrow for my first impressions. -- Aaron Gold

Our backlog of Corvette reviews:

Comments
August 12, 2013 at 7:26 am
(1) BuckyThreadkiller says:

The vast majority of people who hate on Corvettes have never driven a Corvette. One stomp on the gas pedal can change your entire attitude.

Yeah, the stigma of the Hawaiian shirt and gold chains crowd hovers around the car, and the Rubbermaid interior slams have stuck. But if you’re a driver and appreciate a car that can give you a track day on Saturday afternoon, a road trip on Sunday and get you to work on Monday morning, then nothing beats a Corvette.

I can’t wait to drive the new Stingray either. The C7 teams looks to have built an amazing machine.

August 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(2) Hawaiian Don says:

I have been tracking the development of this car since its first announcement. Without a doubt this is the most striking Corvette ever. My 1979 L82 was a mechanical miscreant. However, GM resolved those issues years ago. This car has the first real chance at becoming Ameica’s first shot at exotica…and at under $100k. If they pull it off, then American Ingenuity is alive and well and living at the RenCen in Detroit. God bless America!!!
:-)

August 12, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(3) Plastic lover says:

Aron Gold take a hike for waiting 60 years!!! It’s been a fun car @ different levels over time and more affordable than the imports! ($ per HP).

August 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm
(4) Bob G says:

Ok I’m a OLD man….(69) BUT I currently have 6 Corvettes in my garage the newest one is a 1998 C5 Z51 6 sp convertible ..the oldest is a 64 327 365 hp convertible with a closed ratio 4 sp… 3 C3′s and a C4 round out my fleet

I just plain like to drive..and while I agree the interiors are not the greatest i personally could care less… These cars are not about luxury at least to an old timer like me.. Heck I can;t remember the lst time I even had the radio turned on..

That said at my age I dont think I’m going to buy a new C7 BUT with Carlisle in a few weeks who knows..My wife always tells me when I leave for Carlisle NOT to bring home yet another Vette unless its some shade of green is

Bob G

August 13, 2013 at 2:01 am
(5) Hawaiian Don says:

Bob, I think you would look good in a green Vette. Besides, 7 is a lucky number. At 69, if you can afford one, you’d be nuts not to buy one! And if they don’t offer it in green, well I know a great custom paint shop in San Diego…

August 13, 2013 at 3:16 pm
(6) Ford Fan says:

I run in Mustang circles, specifically the 03-04 supercharged Cobra and I’m seeing lots of guys moving to C6 Z06′s. I think the old stereotype Vette driver is dying, the car is simply getting better and better. Heck a C5 Z06 with no mileage is one of the best performance bargains out there right now.

August 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(7) James says:

I think Bob G is in luck; one of the colors available on the 2014 Corvette is Lime Rock Green Metallic!